Thursday, March 25, 2010

3rd Eye L's City's Finest!



by Tendy Kay


“I get high on myself, I am so deep inside”

Record Label: Next Plateau
Albums in the bank: Imagine Being Jesus and Not Knowing It
Producers: Dominant One, He-Rum (Nairobi), Mo Blak Beatz
Collabos: Ice Kapp, Rising Sun, Erasto, The Chosen One, Vareta Nine, Dominant One and Phi-Ella
1st Ever: The Exodus (Which never came out)
Nu project: “Taking Kandy from a Blind Baby” dropping December
Look Out: “Intrigue and Delegate,” a collaboration album with Dominant One, drop to be announced

Did you always know you’d be rapping?


Did you always know you'd be here asking me that?. I was cheeky enough to know I was destined for greatness at a very young age though. I always thought I was gonna be president by the age of twenty. Seriously though, you can't know the future you can only feel it coming. It's the experience of meeting the future in today that leads to knowing, thus the term "the present" and utterances such as "I knew it!"

‘A gud day to die’ a personal tip, how has hip hop affected your family, knowing the myth; music or hip hop don’t bring no food?


I think they'd be in a better position to answer that. You know they say "assumption is the mother of all f... ups!"

Imagine being Jesus and not knowing it, what makes you God’s son the Third Eye?


We're all God's children, ask Jesus. Speaking of which, I guess that's why he's the most remembered of all God's children so far. We all go though the same in many ways (being poor, exile, social and political crucifixion etc).There's a little bit of the Jesus myth in all our personal stories. What I'd say "makes this particular God's son the Third Eye" is his "four-sight".

Your previous single “Burning Bush,” insinuates a lot of global politic is it a gimmick to sale?

It was the name of my first single ever. I meant every word and breath burning Bush. The truth will set you free when the liars pay a fee.

As an artist do you ever think about things like commitment to the culture or responsibility as a musician?

I think about my responsibilities as a man period. Music is just my instrument of choice

What inspired this album?


Pain.

From the Mix Tape Moto Wayaka by D 1, “Back again” had you done other projects before this?

'The Ten plagues of Moses’ and 'The Final Call' mix tapes in 2004 and 2005 respectively.


Repn where you’re; from knowing that not everyone comes from a ghetto, how does that influence your music?


The name "ghetto" is a term given to locations allocated to Jews during the holocaust to keep them poor, suffering and easier to eliminate. Africa's the largest single ghetto on the planet. It's only real surburbs are the rich and fertile locations the foreigners now occupy, keeping most of it to themselves and re-distributing the lesser part of it to the African elite, also known as "the black muppet puppets". People might think it's a gimmick when I record burning Bush last year instead of noticing the connection in rising global oil prices this year and even worse question why I big up Comrade Robert Mugabe in my music for re-re-distributing that fertile land I'm talking about to the Africans trapped IN the ghetto. Still, my music is aimed at people's souls not where their bodies stay.I don't use it to represent no ghetto, I re-present humanity.


How’s the hustle in the hip hop industry in Malawi?


Like any other independent hustle in Malawi right now.

Your sound is very influenced by American hip hop, “they took away our peace but will took away our dreams” (Sum Day). What are you doing to stamp it with Malawi?

I'm going there soon to perform songs like Burning Bush live, that's how

“I chose heavenly wealth over my bodily health, now it’s a wrap on this thing you called rap, I aint no rapper son” (Re-cognize) I know some rappers are conscious, others mainstream while others are commercial, what you call yourself?

The name 'Third Eye' itself is the epitome of consciousness.

Your lyrics are quite spiritual, tell me about the highly elevated ‘gud morning?’


Heaven is a brother away.

“Jealous, envy pave way to derangement” (Left Overz), what’s your experience with beef on the scene?

I recently got dissed by a gospel rapper. Incidentally his name is David.


Lyrically how do u get insp-hired


“ I get high on myself, I am so deep inside” Its the metaphysical.

Burning Bush was basically you and D 1, what’s it like working with D1?
We been dropping science together forever. It's always been second nature. Watch out for 'Intrigue and Delegate' coming soon by the way.


I hear your first break came in Kenya: K-South, when does it get real in Malawi, are you rocking any major shows?


My first serious show, Doobeez from K-South put me on. He's my brother from another mother. He'd even hold up the show mid-way and let me speak my mind in front of 500 people when I was only twenty. He was twenty eight at the time so it's humbling to know how much respect he had for me both as an emcee and a person given his stature. Malawi's Malawi. The name means flames so I guess it's hard as hell. Next up though, me and D are performing at the next Lake of Stars this October but we're headlining it along with huge local acts like Black Missionaries and Lucius Banda. See you when you see me!!!


“The Calling” what keeps you going in life as well as in music? Is God still breathing after all your losses and struggles?


Faith. God breathes through you and me


"Every bush burn by the fire they keep/caressing my third eye I will never sleep" (Burning Bush)
what’s next?


Take a guess, be my guest...




www.myspace.com/thirdeyeafrika.com

1 comment:

Swagga said...

Dude's sensational....