Sunday, March 28, 2010

Telling it Like it Is: Bassik aka Kapp (Producer and Emcee)

by Naninde James



Artist Worked With

I’ve produced for a range of artists. They include Navio (of Klear Kut), Skye Wanda, Trey, PHA Ella, Manelisi, Third Eye, David (formerly known as Jerome), Young Poet, Abdus Salam and Marvel

What I have done

Projects that I’ve been a major part of are the ‘given mixtape’ released in September 2007 in Durban which had two tracks on the hype sessions vol 14; I produced ¾ of the mixtape, ¾ of the beats on Navio’s album were produced by me as well.

What I am doing

Currently I’m working on the KR (formerly known as KRT) album called Heartfelt the Soul. Recently I just finished my mixtape called the diversions vol 1.

Where it all Started


I began hip-hopping in the early nineties driven into it by artists like Nas, Wu-tang, Gangstarr, Rakim and many more. Started rhyming at 11 but seriously got into it around 1999 just after the whole Bantu clan movement which included some of the guru’s of Malawian hip-hop. I went by the name of Icekapp.


How long I have been doing this


I’ve been a Producer since 2000 Using Fruity Loops to stir up tight beats. My inspiration comes from Soul music.


My Malawi hip hop perspective


Hip hop is plastic in this country at the moment coz I feel alotta dudes are rushing for the media and to satisfy the media as breakthrough artist’s peeps go bubble gum. I recently checked out the Abstract mag which had hip-hop quotes of certain artist’s rhymes and it made me laugh coz it was pathetic.

On the Media
I feel the media has a lot to learn about hip-hop in this country in order for it to progress. We should have credible artists featured in the media wave not anyone who picks a pen jots down a few lines and hits the studio.

What’s important?


One important thing about life is that as a music lover you have to have good time management skills always put school first if you’re studying
One!

1 comment:

Swagga said...

The man speaks truth...Bassik is ill mayne...keep it real!!!! 1